Thursday, March 22, 2012

F**k ewe!

I was cycling up Glenariff yesterday. As you'd imagine, I wasn't exactly flying. However, I was going fast enough to be held up by a farmer driving a flock of sheep up the road. Three cars were held up in front of me too. That's not interesting but it is relevant to some other non-interesting gubbins I'll be mentioning soon.

It was a nuisance to me but I understand farmers have to move their sheep between fields at some point and I was just unlucky to chance upon that road at that time.

So, anyway, I had to crawl up the road after this farmer (who was on a quad) and his flock of sheep. It took, what seemed like, ages. I'd estimate the two fields were at least half a mile apart and the poor little bleaters were tootling along at about four miles an hour.

To push toward my grumpy point, eventually the sheep reached their destination and another farmer (who I shall refer to as Farmer 2) guided them into their field. As each of the three cars passed, Farmer 2 smiled or said 'Thank you' and waved in appreciation. Then it was my turn. I nodded an acknowledgement to him as I was nearing Farmer 2 and got a complete fuck you stare in return. Huh? What the hell did I do to merit that?

I was way more obstructed than the motorists; I had to weave through sheep poop and was barely going at a speed where I could keep upright while they were able to sit (admittedly still being held back) in comfort and not have to worry about fresh sheep plops or unsuccessful attempts at track stands.

It's no big deal really but I find that kind of behaviour somewhat baffling. Why be all sweetness and light to the motorists and then glare at a cyclist who is proactively being friendly? That's not to say the motorists weren't being friendly. I simply don't know in their case.

As I say, it doesn't matter much but wouldn't life be more pleasant if people could show more appreciation to one another and at least feign being positive.

I'd like to add that I bear the sheep no malice whatsoever. They did their utmost to accommodate me and were very polite, other than the public defecation.

No comments: