Monday, February 27, 2012

Cobwebs

I'm an awful awful man. No, please don't tell me I'm the light which brightens up your otherwise meaningless life; I'm awful (as noted above).

Today was the first time I've been out on my bicycle since the 16th of November 2011. Shame on me! Okay, I'm not 'that' awful. It doesn't actually matter whatsoever to anyone who isn't me.

I'd done my annual promise of 'I'll definitely keep cycling through the winter this year. I'll not let the little fitness I've gained go to waste. In fact, I'll be fitter in the spring than I was going into the winter'. Yep, that worked out to the tune of not whatsoever.

It's easy for me to make such promises to myself in the middle of what passes for a summer here. Winter seems like a make believe time. Sure it'll never come round.

Oh, what do you know, there's autumn; the shorts and short-sleeved jerseys are packed away for the rest of the year and it's all bib-knickers and long-sleeves. 'Hmm, maybe I'll not be fitter than I was going into the winter but I still plan to retain what little fitness I have and get out on my bike regularly'.

Then autumn rolls into the crispy start of winter; jackets and bib-tights are the new fashion and thoughts turn to 'Well, if I get out and do shorter routes less often, at least it's something'.

Lo and behold, almost three and a half months later and I've done it again. The bicycles have sat in the garage while I've sat on my arse. So much for 'not-very-big-at-all ideas man'.

To return to the start, I went out for a ride on my bicycle today. It was a fairly short cycle for me (ie. almost pointlessly short for most other people) and, what do you know, sitting on your bum for three and a half months does diminish one's fitness. Who knew?

Cycling a short flat loop at slow (even by my standards) pace was a real struggle. I averaged a heart rate notably higher than usual with results notably lower than usual. To add to this, I got absolutely soaked on the way home.

Do I regret getting back on the bike to find I'm unfit, cold and wet? Absolutely not. I loved it. It's great to be back on two wheels again after a silly break in services. Cycling, in addition to the obvious physical benefits, makes me incredibly happy (well, when people aren't trying to run over me) and helps my state of mind immensely. Plus, the calorific expenditure meant I could get away with eating a big slice of yummy ice-cream cake, even if my teeth won't thank me for it.

No comments: