Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tandemitis

We've been some giving thought recently to getting another tandem.

As you may know (if you've read posts such as these) we already have a tandem. It is, however, a flat bar tandem and the space is rather limited for the stoker (ie. person at the back). As such, it gets very uncomfortable for stoking purposes unless you're smaller than about 5'5". It also, despite covering reasonable extremities in its range of gearing, only has a seven speed freewheel. That means there's quite a jump between gears and it can be difficult to find gears which seem natural to pedal in. Cadence goes up and down a bit more than one might like when pedalling on our current tandem.

So, what to do? We don't want to spend the kind of money the likes of a Santana tandem would cost, even though I'd imagine they're great bicycles. A Landescape (which I also imagine to be rather good) would be a bit less but is still more than we'd have to spend on such an item. Therefore, despite our earlier problems, we're considering ordering a Dawes Galaxy Twin.

It had been a couple of years since we were last out on a tandem so we took our old bike out for a short spin last night. I can see definite positives about it but goodness me I was sore afterward and not just in a 'I've done some exercise and my muscles hurt because I've been working them' way. I found I had pain in my left shoulder, left hip, both knees and right hamstring. That's not good. The confusion, for me, is whether that pain is a result of a poor fitting tandem (which it is) or whether it's because of some little nuances which must exist in tandem riding (not being able to stand up so easily and quickly, having to compromise on cadence with the stoker etc.). It makes buying a tandem sight unseen a less attractive prospect. I wouldn't want to spend about £1300 (which I've seen the Dawes for) on a bicycle only to find it doesn't suit our needs.

Living in Nireland, I don't think there are any local tandem stockists where I could try one of the Galaxy Twins out (and possibly buy it). I wonder if the distance selling regulations would enable us to get it, try it out and (in the worst case of our not wanting it) returning it having had to pay only the shipping charges? I should probably get in touch with a stockist and ask them.

To add to my concerns, I was out cycling solo today and was completely drained of any power. Given how brisk last night's tandem outing was, it really shouldn't have stolen so much Oomph! (not that I have a lot of Oomph! at the best of times) from me. That worries me slightly. I don't want to be doing myself any harm with tandem riding.

Maybe I'd be best saving my money?

No comments: