Monday, May 16, 2011

Time Away

It's been a while since I wrote anything here. Yep, just over three years I see. That's been down to not having much to say, laziness and a general lack of cycling activity. I've hardly been out cycling whatsoever for the last few years. I suppose I kind of 'fell out of love with it' (if that doesn't sound too pretentious).

I don't know what it's like for other people but I find, if I'm not cycling regularly, it's very easy to slip into a routine of lying around doing little more than watching my belly grow. The longer I stay away from my bicycle, the more weight I put on, the less fit I get and the less pleasant it is the next time I try to cycle. It's a vicious cycle. Oh come on, like I was ever going to not make that pun.

Recently I've got back on my bicycle again and found I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would. This time round I had done a little cardio (that's not a small thin jumper which buttons up the front) on our cross trainer and that seems to have helped somewhat. Obviously it's not the same but I'd shifted a bit of spare weight and my body was used to doing some mild exercise.

As I cycle purely for recreation, it's not like I'm ever pushing myself hard but it's still nice to be able to go for (and this is a completely subjective term) a 'decent cycle'. For some that may necessitate covering at least 200 Km with four first category climbs. For me, it's a rather more modest experience.

Simply being above the level I was when I started cycling for the first time in my adult life (despite now being in my mid-thirties and not mid-twenties) is quite a coup for me, even if that level might be a depressing experience for most.

Anyway, those are my wittery thoughts for the day. I can't imagine they're of much interest to anyone but typing them was something to do with a few minutes of spare time.

No comments: