Sunday, August 21, 2005

Rude cyclist

This is a bit of a nothing post really. It's just to mention that, when Kirby Girl and I were out for a cycle yesterday, some twat on a bike seemed to be trying to prove something by attempting to race past us really close to us. As it happened, I was turning off before he could get past me anyway, so he didn't get his pathetic ego boost from that (although I'm certain he could have passed me easily enough had I been going straight on).

As is the norm, we both said hello to this person (me twice, being the glutton for punishment I am) . Neither of us received even a grunt as a response. Obviously it's up to him whether he wants to acknowledge people or not but it's more than a bit rude simply to ignore people who are being friendly to you. This is where people always make arguments like:
  • 'Maybe he was concentrating so much on his cycling he didn't notice you'
    As arguments go, this is bollocks. If he was so caught up in his cycling he couldn't notice anything around him, it's not very clever to go on the roads where he's likely to get run over

  • 'Why should he say hello? You don't say hello to everyone in a car'
    It's true that I don't say hello to everyone in a car but, then again, they wouldn't hear me and there are so many cars on the road, it would be implausible to acknowledge every motorist. Besides, people tend to cycle as an interest whereas they usually drive as a means to get somewhere. Not many people list 'driving' among their hobbies and I would guess groups of people who do probably acknowledge one another's existence when they meet

  • 'Maybe he was too tired to speak'
    If he's training to the point where he is incapable of speech, he ought to be a bit more careful. If he can't speak, chances are he can't breathe properly either and he'll do himself an injury. Besides, you don't need to speak to nod your head in acknowledgement
Other than being hard of hearing/seeing (I nodded too), I can't see any excuse for anyone snubbing another friendly person. I guess it's just that 'rude idiot' attitude some people have and, as I keep reminding myself, they've done me no harm by not saying 'Hello' and will probably live out the rest of their lives being stupid, rude and unhappy. So I like to believe anyway, not that I'm a bitter type of person of course (or a huffy little so and so).

No comments: